Who are you REALLY??

Many of us have had to complete professional self assessments before, like the well known Myers Briggs test.  These evaluations are supposed to identify personality characteristics that may impact professional performance.  There are a number of tests to identify all kinds of traits including behavior styles, management styles, leadership styles, personal flexibility assessments, peak performance self-evaluations...the list goes on and on.

I recently completed a Hogan Self Assessment which focused on human motives.  It helps answer the questions around why we act the way we do.

One of the things I learned from my evaluation was that I have strong leadership characteristics.  While certainly nice to hear, I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to do with that information.  However, there were also some inconsistencies.  For example the test said that when under stress I tend to want more data before making important decisions, but at the same time I'm prone to making decisions quickly.  Not sure if that's good or bad.  One could make a case for either. 

I don't know if these tests are really beneficial or even generally accurate, but I find the results fascinating nonetheless.  However, after reviewing the findings from the Hogan study I actually felt the analysis was reasonably precise.  Much like any study, there were some minor anomalies, but the assessment highlighted strengths and weaknesses in my personality that I've always recognized.  The question is, "What do I do with this data?"  

Most people will try to work on improving their weaknesses.   However, if you focus too much on improving a weakness, do you sacrifice your strongest assets in the process?  Maybe you don't listen enough.  But if you place greater emphasis on improving your listening habits, do you risk stifling your creative or strategic thinking because you're focused on "talking less" versus "listening more"? Afterall, it's not like flipping a switch.

The goal of these assessments of course is to show you where you need to find more balance in your approach to professional growth.  It's the first step in the ongoing search for self awareness.

Whatever you do with the results is up to you.  I wouldn't live or die by them, but I do think they tend to paint a self portrait that should be reviewed from time to time.  Generally speaking, I think most people recognize their faults.  The difference between those who succeed and those who don't is how they address those weaknesses. 

One common phrase that drives me crazy and I hear more and more these days is, "...but that's just who I am."  As if to say that because someone is acknowledging a flaw, it should just be dismissed regardless of any problems it may cause.  If that person beats his wife but acknowledges it as a personality blemish, should we just let it go?! 

Most of us spend our lives striving for personal improvement.  That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be proud of who we are, but we should also recognize personality flaws that knowingly or unknowingly have a negative impact on those around us.  Certainly this is true from a professional standpoint.

What does all of this have to do with marketing you ask.  Well it has a lot to do with building a personal brand and how you want to be perceived in the workforce.  If you don't care about your personal reputation, then none of this matters.  However, if your integrity is important to you...look at these personality assessment tests and glean something from them that might make you a better employee, manager or leader.  It certainly can't hurt.


*The thoughts and opinions shared on this blog are solely those of its author and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of Goodwill of Greater Washington, its supporters or affiliates.