My 10 Rules on Christmas

I grew up in a large Irish Catholic family where Christian holy days were a big deal both for their religious significance as well as the secular celebrations associated with some of them. 

Let me be very clear on one point.  My parents always, always, always instilled in us the religious importance of each and every holy day.  However, they wanted us to celebrate the fun associated with some holidays such as the legend of Santa Claus during the Christmas season and the legend of the Easter Bunny during the Easter season.  It was enjoyable for us as kids and never overwhelmed the religious signficance of the holy days.

Personally, Christmas has always been a special time of year to me.  I still feel like a kid at Christmas and I hope I always do.  I'm sad and disappointed that political correctness has turned the Christmas season into the "holiday" season and a Christmas tree into a "holiday" tree.  I hope that people who disdain Christmas due to its Christian roots will one day realize that Christmas isn't intended as an afront to anyone, but rather a global celebration of peace, love and goodwill.  Perhaps I'm naive, but I don't understand why anyone would find a kind gesture offensive, regardless of its religious roots.

I have a few fundamental rules about Christmas that I'd like to share with you.  I hope no one takes offense to them, though that's certainly your prerogative.

1.  Christmas is a celebration of the birth of Christ.  I'm not ashamed of it, nor should any Christian be.

2.  I am not offended by the secular celebration of Christmas.  It is still all about the spirit of giving.  I don't think Christ would object to giving someone else a gift regardless of whether one's motivation is religious or secular.

3.  I don't care if someone else is offended that I celebrate Christmas.  And I'm surprised and disappointed if someone is offended that I wish them a "Merry Christmas".  Christmas is about peace, love and goodwill towards men.  Anyone who is offended by the celebration of these virtues, regardless of their association to a particular faith, really needs to reexamine their true motives. 

4.  I don't care if someone else is offended that I call my tree a Christmas Tree.  If you want to call it a "holiday tree", that's fine.  But don't tell me or anyone else what we should call our trees.

5.  I am not the least bit offended if someone wishes me "Happy Hanukkuh", "Happy Kwanzaa" or "Blessed Ramadan".  I wouldn't be offended if a Pagan were to wish me "Happy Winter Solstice".   If their intentions are good, regardless of whether or not I personally celebrate those holidays, why should I be offended?

6.  Christmas is about giving.  The size or expense of the gift is irrelevant.  I'm human of course and I like nice gifts, but honestly, I get more joy from seeing the faces of people to whom I'm giving a really great gift; something I know they will enjoy.  Why is there a need to set a minimum or maximum cost on giving someone something?  If a gift recipient is judging the value of the gift based on its cost, then shame on them.  That completely defeats the spirit of the season.  I know several people who approach Christmas gifts this way and I just don't get it.

7.  Those who demand respect for their non-belief in the spirit of Christmas, should at the same time respect the beliefs of others.  I was always taught that respect is earned, not granted upon demand.  I don't care if someone doesn't want to celebrate Christmas, but I do care when someone else says that my choice to celebrate it is somehow infringing upon their rights not to.  Don't celebrate.  It's that simple.

8.  Christmas lights are not optional.  They are mandatory during the Christmas season and the more lights you display, the better!  And none of those little tiny white lights.  I'm talking the big multi-colored outdoor lights that can be seen from the moon.  Garish is good.  Yup, that's an unbreakable rule.

9.  Give.  Others are not as fortunate as many of us.  If you can't give during other times of year, give at Christmas.  There are few things more heartbreaking than the face of a small child who thinks s/he's a bad kid because Santa didn't give him/her a Christmas present.

10.  Celebrate loudly and celebrate often.  Don't hide your appreciation for the good in mankind.  Shout it from the rooftops.  It brings joy to so many people.  Why should it be contained?

Merry Christmas everyone!  I hope that 2012 is a happy and peaceful year for you and for the world.