Do you manage your consultants or do your consultants manage you?

Yesterday, I was having a conversation with a colleague about a consultant who is providing supportive services to his organization.

My colleague's perception is that the consultant is beginning to portray himself as the decision-maker, who doesn't like opposing viewpoints or people questioning his recommendations. While incredibly bright, the consultant can become irritable, patronizing and on the verge of unprofessional. Mind you, my colleague is a very accommodating individual who works well with everyone. Additionally, I have worked with this consultant before and had similar problems, though not to the same extent.

My colleague isn't opposed to having a spirited dialogue when disagreements occur. A healthy discourse often results in identifying the best strategy. But when input is neither wanted nor welcome by someone you're paying, perhaps the next conversation should be about the future of the relationship.

While a consultant's job is to make recommendations, the client is still the ultimate decision-maker. Simply asking for clarity or suggesting a preferred strategy is the client's prerogative. If the consultant disagrees, they have a duty to state their position clearly, but not to become abrasive or unprofessional.

I have worked with consultants before who felt that their opinions were infallible. I recall working on a major event several years ago that was the linchpin to a broader marketing strategy. It was a huge undertaking so we hired a consultant to provide creative guidance and production support. While I had some reservations before we contracted with the consultant, my concerns grew into complete frustration as our relationship became more and more contentious. Ultimately, the event was successful in spite of our differences. As a result the consultant felt that she had earned a new contract to produce the following year's event. However, I clearly explained that we would not be working together again as I had no desire to continue battling with her to get things done. The success of the campaign simply didn't outweigh the challenges of the strained relationship. I wasn't looking for someone to tell me what to do and have me execute their vision. I was looking for someone that would work with me and help execute MY vision. I wanted recommendations, suggestions, ideas and support.  She acted unilaterally, was dictatorial and dismissive. She simply didn't get it.

The following year, we managed the event completely in-house and it became an award winner.

According to 5924MCAndrews.com, "a client will perceive a consulting firm highly if there is the assurance that the passion and drive of the experts are in line with the goals and objectives of the individual or corporation that is in need of help."

So the question is, why do so many companies allow their consultants to run their businesses? How many companies have you worked for that showed greater faith in the opinions of their consultants than in the opinions of their employees? If I were to value the opinions of a consultant more than those of my employees, I would have to question whether I had the right employees in place. While I understand and appreciate the value of consultants, businesses must remember that consultants are their to "consult" not "direct". The businesses leadership team is still much more engaged in daily operations and most likely has a better sense of what will have an impact on the customer. That doesn't mean that an employee's opinion should always carry more weight than a consultant's, but the employee's position shouldn't be dismissed either, just because it may be contrary to the consultant's. Unfortunately, I've seen the latter occur frequently to the detriment of the company.

A good manager will find the right balance while respecting the opinions of both the consultant and the team being consulted.  They must be aligned.  A consultant should not be given the keys to the candy store.  Defending a position is fine if the consultant feels strongly about it.  Becoming overly aggressive in that pursuit is not.  However, at the end of the day, a consultant can only do what the client allows him/her to do.  If the organization's leadership allows the consultant to dictate policy and procedure while refusing to listen to diverse points of view, then the company only has itself to blame if things go awry.

So I ask again - Do you manage your consultants or do your consultants manage you?