Is Traditional Networking a Dead End for Job Seekers?

I was reading a series of comments recently on Linkedin regarding a list of things the HR department won't tell a job seeker about his/her resume.

Some of the items on the list were no surprise, others were eye opening, and a few were potentially disheartening to job seekers.

The string of comments eventually evolved into a series of recommendations about networking to help job applicants. 

While I have no issue with networking and I fully encourage it for both job hunting and new business development, I simply don't believe that in today's competitive environment, traditional networking is much help to job seekers unless you are very experienced and have already established strong relationships with influencers.  While some may disagree with me, the reason why I hold this view is simple.

Most traditional networking functions are now saturated with job seekers.  Professionals who traditionally attend these types of events for business development purposes no longer participate because they are bombarded with people trying to hand them a resume.  While I feel for each of these individuals because I have been in their position before, the reality is that job seekers passing out resumes at a networking event to anyone within arms reach are just as likely to be passing them out to someone who is in the job market himself.  Additionally, those events where job seekers can actually network with executives who can influence hiring decisions, are events to which the unemployed aren't often invited.  That's the sad but true reality of it.

Social networking sites, on the other hand, provide an easier and more direct path to potential influencers.  You can locate someone within your network who is connected to the person you're trying to reach, and within the time it takes to draft a simple message, you can secure a referral. 

However, I don't feel comfortable when a peripheral contact asks me to recommend him/her for a job just because the hiring manager happens to be in my network.  While I don't want to be rude or insensitive, I also don't want to jeopardize my own professional reputation by recommending someone I hardly know.  This happened to me recently, and I was amazed at the sense of entitlement displayed by the person making the request.  I hadn't even spoken to this individual in more than 10 years!  However, I agreed to introduce her to the person she was seeking and take myself out of the equation without offering a reference. Therefore, while I didn't grant the original request, the individual making the ask did get an introduction to the hiring manager, which put her in a better position than most applicants.

While online professional networking may generate better results with less effort than traditional networking, I believe that the best form of job hunting comes from placing a greater emphasis on professional development.

By joining associations, chambers or other professional organizations and then playing an active role, a job candidate can dramatically improve his/her marketability and opportunity to meet decision-makers. 

Don't just join for the networking events. Get on committees that plan programs, join the organization's leadership team, run for office, etc.  Be where corporate executives or hiring managers are going to be and show them what you can do.  Work side by side with business leaders and build your personal brand!  This will not only showcase your capabilities while also getting you a great contact; it will help fill the holes in your resume.  Would you rather have a six month gap that you have to repeatedly explain to potential employers, or fill it in with "Director of Programming for the American Marketing Association"?  Associations and chambers are always looking for volunteers.

Volunteer for a charitable agency.  Two of my best employees in recent years started out as volunteers for Goodwill.  One of them is now the Director of Marketing for Zipcars.  The other still works at Goodwill and has proven to be an outstanding hire.

Another option is to seek out a certification program.  While this obviously requires a financial commitment, which I acknowledge may be a challenge for some, it will allow job seekers to improve their skills, while enhancing their value to potential employers.  It also demonstrates that a candidate isn't just sitting on his/her arse waiting for the right job to come along.  They're actively working to improve themselves, which is an attractive quality to any recruiter.  Additionally, many certificate or master's programs have placement offices whose sole responsibility is helping students find jobs. 

So again, I think that networking plays a role in job hunting, but if you don't make it a more active role that can improve your marketability, you may be doing it forever.