Overselling can kill the customer experience

Most retailers teach their associates the art of "up selling". That is, how to convince a customer that an extra item would enhance the one they are looking to buy, or that a more expensive version might be a better option. Up selling is most common in retail outlets where associates work off of commission or bonuses.

However, there are dangers to up selling if the associate appears too aggressive or anxious to get you to spend more money. It can alienate the customer and damage the brand loyalty that may have otherwise been developed.

I recently returned from a brief respite at a beautiful golf resort in central Virginia with my family. One day I got a nice massage that was quite enjoyable. I really appreciated how the masseuse explained to me each element of the massage so that I understood its intent and how it would help relax my sore muscles. She also shared this information in such a manner that it didn't interfere with my relaxation and the soft, calming music that was playing in the background.

After the massage, I was preparing to return to the locker room to shower, then pay on my way out, when the masseuse began hard selling me on a collection of oils and skin care products that I really had no interest in buying. That brief moment of overselling turned a good customer experience into a bad one.

I would have preferred that she just explain the benefits of each oil that was used, while letting me know that they were available for purchase if I was interested, rather than try to force them down my throat while I was walking down the hall in a bathrobe.

Just a note to the wise: It's OK to teach your associates and sales teams the art of up-selling, but don't incentivize them so much on those sales that it leads to a damaged customer experience and lack of trust in your brand.

You know why car dealerships have such bad reputations? Because they are so focused on squeezing every possible dollar out of each sale. Dealerships and their sales associates fail to recognize that they can generate significantly more revenue through return customers and referrals than they can by misleading customers into paying for extras they neither need nor want. They are willing to sacrifice long term brand equity for short term sales by up selling customers on virtually everything. They oversell!

Often a soft sell or presentation of "options" is a better tactic, and one that is more likely to secure a loyal customer.