They’ve Got Ronald McDonald in their Crosshairs! – Where will it end?

OK, now they have crossed the line!

I believe that activism has its place. I believe that watchdog organizations and ombudsmen who spend their time trying to improve the quality of life for consumers and taxpayers by holding corporations and the government accountable for their actions are a valuable asset to our country.

But when these organizations begin spending valuable time and resources trying to mess with a beloved American icon that has made children happy for decades, I have to draw the line and ask “why?”

According to a recent article in the Chicago Tribune, (http://tinyurl.com/ygxlby9), the same group that successfully led the effort to eliminate the Joe Camel character is now targeting Ronald McDonald for “retirement”.

The article states that “Corporate Accountability International, which has waged campaigns against bottled water companies and tobacco companies, said it plans to present the results of a survey Wednesday showing that most Americans agree.”

I’m sorry, but I don’t think you need to be a research expert to question the validity of such a survey. I’d really like to see the survey design and the research methodology that were used in this study.

Ronald McDonald is as much a part of Americana as baseball and apple pie. He represents the McDonald’s experience just as Mickey Mouse represents the Disney experience. As many of you probably did, I grew up eating at McDonalds when my parents allowed. Raise your hand if you believe Ronald McDonald made you obese? As far as I know, they sell burgers and fries at Disney World too. Will Mickey be CAI’s next target?

I have a suggestion for CAI and those who support this effort to attack one of the world’s most identifiable and lovable icons: Step back and refocus. Present the data that shows how healthy or unhealthy McDonald’s food is. I fully support those messages. But Ronald McDonald doesn’t get in front of the camera and tell kids that McDonald’s burgers and fries are healthy. Ronald doesn’t tell kids to eat his food three times a day. Where is the personal accountability in all of this? McDonald’s provides customers with the fat and caloric content of all of its meals and provides several low fat options as well. From my perspective, I think they’re doing their part. How about focusing your efforts on the parents who take their kids to McDonald’s every day, rather than on a clown who promotes having fun while you’re there (who by the way, also promotes child safety, literacy, healthy eating and the importance of an active lifestyle)?

While I’m all in favor of activism when properly targeted, I think this effort is a bit misguided.