Marketing Cynics Never Win

A few weeks ago, I had the privilege of leading a roundtable discussion on marketing strategy with a group of small business owners and entrepreneurs. Halfway through the exchange, as often happens during conversations about marketing strategy, the discussion eventually turned to social media.

As a devoted advocate for the use of social media as a business tactic, I explained the marketing successes I have witnessed and been a part of using the communications medium.

While most people in the room were very curious and asked excellent questions, I’ve found that there is inevitably at least one vocal cynic in every group I speak to. This group was no exception.

One of the attendees who owned a small business in Washington, DC (I won’t mention the business) didn’t believe in social media and seemed more focused on criticizing it than learning about it or even trying it (for more than a few weeks). At one point this person even asked everyone in the room who used Twitter to raise a hand. Only two people in the room did so, me being one of them (there were 12 people in the room). While this didn’t surprise me since everyone in the room was there with the goal of learning more about marketing strategy and social media as a component, the lack of hands seemed to be all the evidence this small business owner felt she needed to prove her point that “no one uses Twitter” and that doing so would be a waste of time.

It took every ounce of energy I had to refrain from pointing out that her cynicism might be the reason her business was failing. Instead I held my tongue and replied that “social media may not be right for every business (although if properly executed, I believe her business would be PERFECT for it), but social networking is how people communicate today and its use will only grow. Therefore, ignoring it could be a mistake”.

While I don’t think I convinced her to reconsider, I couldn’t help but feel a certain amount of pity. Her dedicated cynicism is unlikely to lead to success. Do any of us know a hard core cynic that is a successful business leader? Of course not; because successful business leaders are willing to learn and take risks. They embrace change and innovation. They seek out new opportunities. Many of the most successful business leaders in the world failed many times before they succeeded. But they picked themselves up off the ground, brushed themselves off and got back on the horse.

That’s not to say you shouldn’t take precautions to minimize risk. But to avoid the unknown or fail to recognize and adapt to change will never lead you to the pot of gold. Anyone remember Smith Corona? Once the most successful manufacturer of typewriters and word processors in the world; they failed to adequately adapt to the advent of the home computer. Now they only manufacture word processor supplies and portable typewriters. I didn’t realize anyone actually used typewriters and word processors anymore. What a lost opportunity!

If you know of anyone who is a virulent cynic, do them a favor and get them a copy of the book Who Moved my Cheese? by Dr. Spencer Johnson, M.D. It will change the way they think…unless they see it from a cynic’s point of view….